Indian women have proved time and again that they are here to rule and not to be suppressed. They have achieved such feats that India is proud to be represented by them. From Sania Mirza to MC Mary Kom, Indian sportswomen have proved their worth.So, here are 7 Indian sportswomen who have made India proud!
- Sania Mirza The first Indian to have won the no. 1 WTA rank in doubles, and the second Indian tennis player to be named for the country’s top sporting honour, Sania Mirza has made India proud more than once.
- Saina Nehwal She is the first Indian woman to reach the world number 1 rank in Badminton. “It is difficult to play any other sport in a cricket-mad country, especially if you are a woman,” says Saina.
- Saba Anjum Former Indian Hockey forward and member of the gold-winning 2010 Commonwealth Games Team.
- Mithali Raj Captain of the Indian Women’s Cricket Team, Raj is the first Indian woman to score a double hundred in Tests.
- PV Sindhu This 19 year old is the first ever Indian woman to win a medal at the World Badminton Championship in 2013.
- Arunima Sinha This 27 year old is the first Indian amputee to climb the Mt. Everest. This former national football and volleyball player lost her leg when she was pushed from a running train while resisting an attack from thieves.
- MC Mary Kom Five time world boxing champion, Mary Kom has proved that women are not to be suppressed! She also has an extremely supportive husband whom she dedicates her victories to!