As backpackers, we challenge ourselves to travel as lightly as possible. With just a few multipurpose items, you can keep yourself organized and clean for the road ahead. These same few items, again and again, will help you stay sane and keep your things in order when you travel.
Here are 9 must-pack travel essentials that do double duty on the road:
- Packable Shelves - These packable shelves fit squarely into a suitcase, separating dirty from clean or jeans from jammies. But here's the fantastic part: Once you arrive to your destination, there's no need to unpack. Just lift the shelves out of your suitcase and hang the whole heap in your closet.
- Pocket Cross Body Bag - The pocket cross body bag is a midsize bag that's big enough to hold a water bottle or a guidebook but small enough that it won't weigh you down. Inside is an RFID-blocking wallet that can double as a wristlet for a night out.
- Jackets - You can find jackets with a plethora of pockets in pretty much any travel supply store. But buy the one which has more pockets than your average travel jacket. Some of the jackets have as many as 43 pockets sewn into them, including an RFID-blocking sleeve for credit cards or passports, ultra-thin pockets for pens, and dedicated pouches for tablets and phones.
- Money Belt - Not only does the money belt hold up your pants (an important attempt), but it also has a zippered pocket in which you can hide your cash. So cool right!?
- Sun Protection Wrap – This protection wrap protects female travelers from harsh sunbeams while keeping them warm in cold airplanes or on windy cruise balconies. This shawl with sleeves is very versatile and it's a useful product for women visiting destinations or sacred sites where a head covering is appropriate.
- Bug-Beating Hammock - It's a pack-able, lightweight hammock that has room enough for two people when it unfolds. The hammock has been treated with permethrin, a safe and odorless insect repellent that wards off mosquitoes, ticks, mites and other pests.
- Luggage Scale - Luggage Scale is a tiny little lifesaver for over packing travelers. You can weigh your suitcase before you leave home to find out whether you're under the 50-pound limit most airlines have for checked bags. Additionally, the scale doubles as a power bank (for charging your smartphone) and a flashlight. You can use the LED light to illuminate dark parking lots, overhead bins and poorly lit sidewalks.
- Sleep Mask - Sleep mask is made of dark padded fabric that wraps around your face and covers your ears. This suppresses sound while it also shields tired eyes.
- GPS Case - For travelers who bring their own smartphones or GPS devices to use for navigation in rental cars. This product is both a carrying case for your device and a mount that displays a GPS screen on your dashboard.
Now that you’ve packed it all, go find places to travel!