Don’t bore yourself with the same idli-dosa meal every time you go to a South Indian restaurant. Add some variety to your meal the next time your taste buds crave for South Indian food. These 7 dishes should be definitely given a shot:
- Thali – One of the best ways to try all the South Indian specialties is by having a thali. It is more like a buffet where you get to try rice, curry dishes, yogurt and veggie dishes.
- Biryani – There are about 40 different variations of the biryani in South India. The biryani is made in layers and is served with raita.
- Vada and sambar – Vada looks like a small brown donut and is made of lentils. Sambar is a soup-like dish which is made of tamarind and variety of other spices. The combination of vada-sambar compliments each other just right.
- Rasam – Rasam is a healthy soupy dish variating from sour to sweet to spicy. It consists of cumin, tamarind, pepper, tomato and other spices.
- Filter coffee – South Indian style coffee is made with a coffee filter to which sugar and hot boiling milk is added. They serve it in a steel tumbler and bowl.
- Uttapam – This one looks like a flattened pancake and is made of rice and lentils batter and finely chopped vegetables. Served with sambar and chutney.
- Upma – This dish is generally served hot and is made of rice to which chilies and onions are added.