While we are all stuck on watching Bollywood movies, true movie lovers know that there’s more to Indian cinema than just that! And so does the international audience!
We’ve rounded up some of the best Indian films that have received international acclaim and even bagged some of the most prestigious film awards. And oh, none of them are from Bollywood!
- Chatrak This Bengali movie was screened at several film festivals, including the Director’s Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival.
- Mumbai Cha Raja Following the life of street kids in Mumbai, this film was screened at several international film festivals. Definitely one of our favourites!
- Nayakan This 1987 classic made it to TIME’s list of 100 best films of all time. Well, what more can you expect from a film made by Mani Ratnam?!
- Court A movie critically applauded all over the globe, Court won several awards in film festivals in Venice, Hong Kong, Vienna. Watch this one right now!
- Sant Tukaram This 1936 Marathi film was the first Indian film to get international recognition. Needless to say, every movie buff’s absolutely got to watch it!
- Iruvar This Mani Ratnam film won the Best Film award at the Belgrade International Film Festival and in 2012, it was included in the reputed British Film Institute Sight and Sound’s 1000 greatest films of all time!
- Ghatashraddha This Kannada film became the only Indian film in the Film Archive of Paris in 2002 during the centenary celebrations of cinema. Directed by Girish Kasaravalli, this one is a brilliant watch!
- Kaaka Muttai This Tamil movie not only won a National Award, but also received a standing ovation at the Toronto International Film Festival. Did we mention that it was the director’s debut?
- Shwaas Warning: keep a box of tissues handy because you will most definitely cry while watching Shwaas.
- Kharij This Mrinal Sen directed movie won the Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. If you haven’t watched it already, please do!
- Killa Not only did this Marathi movie receive critical appreciation, it also won an award at the renowned Berlin Film Festival!