We trust history nerds to do their homework well and explore a city to the fullest extent. Especially in a city like Mumbai, where each street hides a yet-to-be explored historical gem.
But there are always places you can miss or places that deserve a second or third visit. Here are five historically significant places in Mumbai you should add to your list!
- Mahakali Caves We are not telling you to skip a tour of Elephanta and Kanheri caves, but make sure you visit these lesser known group of caves too! They may be smaller, but they are in no way less important!
- Madh Fort Built during the Portuguese rule, this fort tells a story of the Portuguese as well as the Marathas. Time to revisit it?
- Holy Name Cathedral Very close to Colaba Causeway is the Holy Name Cathedral. Step inside to admire the architecture and for a moment of peace amidst the bustle of the city!
- Khotachiwadi Not only does Khotachiwadi boast of Portuguese style architecture, but also houses the East Indian community, one of the earliest inhabitants of Mumbai. Visit in the mornings to soak it in all its glory!
- Gateway of India This monument has become synonymous with Mumbai, but that doesn’t mean you have to skip it! Built to commemorate the visit of King George V, this is one of the most important historical landmarks in the city.