Qandeel Baloch, also known as the ‘Pakistani Kim Kardashian’, was murdered last week by her brother. He was proud of it as it was an attempt to honour their family name. A name that finally made people question the right of ‘honour killing’. We are all aware of the cause of her death, but who was she really? In this article, we list down the reasons why she has become an icon for not only women in Pakistan, but the entire world.
Here are 9 reasons why Qandeel Baloch broke the internet:
- She said goodbye to abuse Fauzia Azeem is Qandeel Baloch’s real name. Forced to marry at the age of 17, she tolerated a year of abuse until she finally filed a divorce. She refused to spend her life that way and wanted to be independent.
- She used rejection as a tool The first time the media found out about her was when she auditioned for ‘Pakistan Idol’. The rejection led to tears, but that didn’t stop her. She started posting on social media and gathered a large audience.
- She gave the middle finger to misogyny Sure, she had some sexy videos online. This only showed how much she didn’t give a damn, despite being in a misogynistic country. She was comfortable with her sexuality, which men couldn’t stand( but secretly liked).
- She exposed the hypocrisy of the locals She posted a photo of her snuggling with Mufti Qavi, a member of a government-funded religious committee. He was clearly enjoying the company. After her death, he claimed that her death was a lesson to other women.
- She trolled the Pakistani patriarchy The internet sensation always emphasized on feminist issues. A status from her Facebook page stated, “At least the international media can see what I am up to…I am trying to change the typical orthodox mindset of people who don’t want to come out of their shells of false beliefs and old practices.”
- She let her haters keep hating She never ran out of sassy quotes like "I will keep on achieving and I know you will keep on hating.", or “People are criticizing me, saying I’m copying Nicki Minaj and Mia Khalifa. They enjoy their videos, why not Qandeel Baloch?”
- She fought against her country At an interview, she was asked why she did such bold things. Her response was “You know what kinds of offers they make girls here [showbiz]. You know how they try to misuse girls who are new to the industry. You could say that this is my revenge [from this country]. I don’t do these things happily.”
- She supported her family At the end of the day, she financially supported her family. Having twelve siblings, she helped them all, her brother included. She bought a house for them and even paid her sister’s dowry. Despite their lack of support, she took care of them.
- She was an example of female power She believed that women didn’t need to label themselves for the sake of society. One of her quotes stated “I want to give those girls a positive message who have been forcefully married, who continue to sacrifice.”
Qandeel Baloch’s tragic death has left us in a loss of words, but we hope her fight for freedom hasn’t gone to waste.Does this kind of passion inspire you? Here is some more that will touch your heart.