Every now and then, there comes some quality cinema. But we don't get to hear much about them because of the marketing gimmicks of mainstream commercial movies, which these underrated ones can't generally afford. So after a week or two, they are long lost.
But they surely leave behind traces of the wonderful music that they make. Not all, but at least a few do.
So let’s give the music some credit here, if not the entire film.
Here are 7 underrated Indian films which have such soulful music:
- Masaan–This movie starring Richa Chadha and Vicky Kaushal follows two separate stories in the town of Varanasi. It has such touching songs portraying life and death. One such song which definitely needs an ear is ‘Mann Kasturi’.
Thank us later!
- Kerry on Kutton–The Satyajeet Dubey, Aditya Kumar and Aradhana Jagota starer film belongs to the group of films like ‘Massan’ and ‘Titli’. Set in Uttar Pradesh’s Baghi Balia, this film talks about the honest people, the things they do and say because everything is linked to where they are from, their lives and their dreams. The very catchy song it has is ‘Dheere Dheere’. It sound like a mixture of modern and fusion music.
You’re missing out on something too good if you still haven’t heard this song.
- Aankhon Dekhi – This film is a bittersweet tale of a man who has a vision and decides that he will only believe what he sees with his own eyes. Sanjay Mishrahas given a flawless performance in this one. ‘Aaj Laagi Laagi Na Dhoop’ is that one song which is a rare collection of good music, lyrics and tunes.
Listen to it and we bet it’ll be in your playlist soon.
- Filmistaan - Filmistaan is the story of a filmy man from India who is mistakenly kidnapped and made to cross the border while shooting a film. Sharib Hashmi has played a brilliant role in this film. ‘Uljhi Uljhi’ is the best song of all.
If you’re more of a soft music person, this is one song you should definitely make your favorite.
- Chittagong - This movie is based on British India's Chittagong uprising. Starring Manoj Bajpai, this one has the most beautiful songs. One of which is ‘Bechain Sapne’.
A song that holds so many emotions at once.
- Margarita, With A Straw - This film starring Kalki Koechlin is the story of a bi-sexual woman who has cerebral palsy. The song which has a gripping message of this film in itself, is ‘Meri Aadat Mera Hissa’.
- Antardwand - This film is based on the cases of groom kidnapping in Bihar. Starring Raghu Veer and Janki in the main leads, this film has a beautiful song called ‘Tanha Tanha’. This song carries a feeling of compassion and sadness.
These power pack songs makes you want watch some equally powerful short movies too.