For every Hindi music follower, this is going to be a shocker! Caution, spoiler alert ahead! Did you know some of your Bollywood songs are borrowed from the West? Of course, Bollywood will never say that it has copied from other artists, only that it has taken ‘inspiration’ from them. Here’s a countdown of how Bollywood has indulged in plagiarism when it comes to music:
- Chaand Sitaare from Kaho Na Pyaar Hai (Rajesh Roshan) / Voices by Vangelis They are basically the same song, except for the Hindi lyrics. Slow cap for Rajesh Roshan for perfectly synchronizing the (we hope, original) lyrics to the notes of this song.
- Dil Le Le Lena from Auzaar (Anu Malik) / Macarena by Los del Rio If Anu Malik was a student, he would top every subject because of his expert copying skills. This song, along with several others, shows how much Anu Malik has been inspired by singers from the west. Some cold shoulder there!
- We Love We Love Rocky from Aflatoon (Dilip Sen) / We Will Rock You by Queen Zero points for effort for this one! Even the title is so unoriginal. These guys have taken ‘inspiration’ to a new level altogether!
- Aate Jaate Haste Gaate from Maine Pyar Kiya (Raamlaxman) / I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder Aate Jaate Haste Gaate, a popular romantic melody, has been ‘inspired’ by Stevie Wonder’s iconic song ‘I Just Called to Say I Love You’. Despite all the popularity this song received, trying to attempt copying this classic is a cheap shot. Pssst!
- Yuhin Kat Jaayega Safar from Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (Nadeem Shravan) / Lovely Lady of Arcadia by Demis Roussos This favourite from Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke is another ripoff. Clearly, the composer’s journey has been spent finding ‘inspiration’ from others.
- Kambakth Ishq from Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya (Sandeep Chowta)/ Eireann by Afro Celt Sound System WOAH! This song by the African group is wonderful, and the copied version could have been a moderately good song if it was original. How we wish!
- Love ki Ghanti from Besharam (Lalit Pandit) / Bella Ciao, a song of the Italian resistance movement This song from Besharam is one of the latest attempts at copying by Bollywood composers. The song ‘Bella Ciao’ was used in the Italian resistance movement and is now used as a symbol of freedom. The composer must have thought it meant freedom from originality, we guess.
These musical carbon copies have definitely made us feel giddy!