- IPL spot-fixing and betting case,2013 Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan represented Rajasthan Royals in the 2013 Indian Premier League and were arrested on the charges of spot-fixing. In a separate case Vindu Dara Singh and Gurunath Meiyappan were arrested for betting and having links with bookies.
- IPL spot-fixing case, 2012 This case started when India TV aired a sting operation which accused TP Sudhindra, Shalabh Srivastava, Mohnish Mishra, Amit Yadav and Abhinav Bali of spot-fixing and led to their banning.
- Ball tampering incident, August 2006 The controversy arose when the umpires Darrell Hair and Billy Doctrove ruled that the Pakistani team was involved in ball-tampering and five runs were awarded to England as penalty. The Pakistani team then refused to take field after tea-break. The umpires declared England as winners by forfeiture. This is the first time a match has been decided this way.
- Mike Denness and Indian team incident, 2001 This incident occurred during a Test match between India and South Africa in 2001. Match referee Mike Denness handed punishments to six players from the Indian team- Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh, Shiv Sunder Das and Deep Dasgupta- and later failed to explain his actions.
- The Harbhajan ban, 2008 In the Test Match between India and Australia, Andrew Symonds alleged Harbhajan of making a racist remark and calling him a monkey. This led to a three test match ban of Harbhajan Singh.
- The Eden Garden Riot, 1996 In the world cup semi-final between Sri Lanka and India, the latter was inching towards defeat. The Indian spectators were disappointed by this performance and started throwing water-bottles on the field and started lighting fires on the stands. The match was eventually handed to Sri Lanka.
- The bodyline series, 1933 In the Ashes Series1932-1933, the English devised a tactic to prevent the Australian batsmen from scoring. A bodyline delivery was a threatening one where the ball was bowled close to the body of the batsman. This incident is regarded as the gravest of all.
Apr 17, 2016
7 Cricketers And Controversies That Are Related To Them!
Cricket is deemed as the gentleman’s sport. But there have been times of controversy and confusion on the pitch! Here are 7 such controversies that have created chaos on field!