1st December is celebrated as World AIDS Day in order to show support to those affected by HIV/AIDS and spread awareness. With an aim to remove the prejudice associated with HIV/AIDS, World AIDS Day has always been important in educating the masses about the disease with the help of activists all over the world. Hailing from different backgrounds, these activists have changed the way the world sees and treats HIV/AIDS patients. This World AIDS Day, we look at some celebs who have been committed to the cause and continue to fight for the rights of those affected by HIV/AIDS.
- Shabana Azmi Shabana Azmi has been active in fighting for several causes, right from women’s rights to those of displaced migrants and victims. This Bollywood actress has also extended her support to fight against the stigma associated with HIV/AIDS. No wonder she was appointed as the Goodwill Ambassador of the HIV/AIDS programme for the SAARC region!
- Madonna This pop icon was one of the first celebrities to show her support for this cause. She worked with organizations like AIDS Project LA in order to help those affected with the disease. Ray of light, indeed!
- Dia Mirza Apart from working with organizations such as PETA, actress Dia Mirza has also been active in spreading awareness about HIV/AIDS. She has teamed up with the Andhra Pradesh state government for the same cause.
- Elton John One of the most dedicated supporters of this cause, Elton John founded the Elton John AIDS Foundation in 1992. The organization has since then $349 million for HIV/AIDS research. Such great acts make him a true superstar!
- Nafisa Ali Nafisa Ali is many things including a social worker. This former Miss India runs a care home named Ashraya for HIV/AIDS affected children in Rajasthan. This care centre provides them with the right treatment, both physical and psychological.
While these celebs have been doing their bit for the cause, don’t you think it’s time we get inspired too? Let’s all pledge to support the cause in our own small way and help change the world!