All good things start with food, so we like to believe!
Gudi Padwa, the beginning of a new year for many, should be celebrated with happiness, good wishes, and of course lots of food! And to make it easier for you, we have compiled a list of awesome delicacies you gorge on this auspicious day:
- Puranpoli Talk of favourite Maharashtrian dishes and puran poli has to appear on everyone’s list! This sweet dish is the best way to start this auspicious day and a new year!
- Shrikhand –puri Gudi Padwa is just not the same without shrikhand-puri! Today’s the day to gorge on as much shrikhand as you can. Yes, take that third serving you have just been offered!
- Kothimbir wadi Take a break between two sweet dishes; eat this Maharashtrian snack of coriander and gram flour wadis. Deliciously spicy, these will refresh your taste buds from the sugar overdose!
- Fried neem leaves Okay, this one’s more of a tradition than a delicacy. Fried in ghee, neem leaves are consumed along with jaggery on this day. Not only do these ensure good health, but also symbolize the bittersweet year that lies ahead.
- Kesari bhaat Kesari bhaat or saffron rice is made using rice, vegetables, ghee, and delicious amounts of saffron. If you are celebrating Gudi Padwa somewhere, we are sure this one’s already on the menu!